At Westways, online safety is a key driver within PSHE lessons. We have adopted the SWGfL scheme of work to cover the online safety curriculum. This content of this scheme falls under eight core themes, as detailed below. Within each year group, the units of work cover several of these core themes over the course of an academic year.
Please click here to view our Online Safety Policy.
Parent Info Lockdown Articles for Families
Parent Info has created some lockdown specific articles for families, who are facing many challenges at the moment with disruptions to school, work and family life. Ranging from top tips on how to cope with family life under lockdown to how to mark all those special occasions, some expert advice and reassurance can go a long way at a time like this.
Please click the links below to view each article:
- Screen time and young children: finding a balance
- Surviving family life under lockdown
- Where can your child get mental health support online during lockdown?
- The hidden benefits of playing video games in lockdown
- How to celebrate special occasions during lockdown
- Screen time: should I be worried?
Thinkuknow Family Activities
Each of these family activity sheets have a selection of short conversation starters, practical tips and fun tasks to do as a family.
- Family activity sheet - Social media
- Family activity sheet - Cyber aware
- Family activity sheet - Live streaming
- Family activity sheet - Sharing images
- Family activity sheet - Viewing videos
- Family activity sheet - Online gaming
Net Aware (net-aware.org.uk/)
The Net Aware website from the NSPCC has lots of really useful advice about the social networks and apps children use. It includes reviews of the sites/apps, what parents think of them, what children think of them as well minimum age requirements and information about how to set privacy settings.
Is your child playing Battle Royale games? Click the following links to for Net Aware advice on these games:
Internet Matters (internetmaters.org/)
This website is designed to help parents keep their children safe online. From age-specific online safety checklists to guides on how to set parental controls on a range of devices, you’ll find a host of practical tips to help children get the most out of their digital world.
Other useful information/resources:
- What parents & carers need to know about phone scams
- 10 top tips for respect online: inspiring children to build a better digital world
- Information on setting up parental controls on Netflix
- A parent's guide to being social online this December 
- Having a positive digital footprint
- Child safety on TikTok: parent factsheet
- Thinkuknow - Learning about online safety at home
- Online safety key themes poster
- Online safety survey of Westways pupils (May 2018)
- Slideshow from the online safety parents information evening (May 2018)